top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris Winter

The Liberty and East Liberty (1)

Updated: May 20

The Liberty is the area of land, including the Cathedral, consisting of Ritchie Hall, the adjacent Polydor Vergill house, and the corner property, Cedars House.



The latest of the architectural plaques has been unveiled at the Liberty in Wells. This road has been of historical significance for many centuries and contains several buildings of note. The unveiling ceremony was attended by representatives of the Rotary Club of Wells, Wells Voice, the Cathedral and Cathedral School, the Museum and the City Council, together with the owner of the wall on which it was installed and members of the Civic Society. We are grateful to everyone for their support.




The view from the corner of The Liberty and East Liberty, Wells
The view from the corner of The Liberty and East Liberty


The Liberty refers to the area of land, including the Cathedral, which until 1866 was free of the bishop’s jurisdiction. The oldest fabric lies within Ritchie Hall, rebuilt in 1884 but containing six 12th century piers of the former Canon’s Barn. The adjacent house, named after Polydor Vergill, the humanist scholar and non-resident Archdeacon (1508-46), also has 15th century details.




The splendid corner property, Cedars House, was designed by Thomas Paty in 1758, and became the Tudway family’s home: it contains rich plasterwork by Thomas Stocking and much original joinery, notably the great staircase.



The impressive Cedars House which is now part of Wells Cathedral School
The impressive Cedars House which is now part of Wells Cathedral School

Opposite here the lofty stone boundary wall which enclosed the Deanery garden plays a vital part of the townscape. Towards its west end a gap reveals the Canon’s houses built in the late 1960s.



Claver Morris House can be seen here on the left of East Liberty
Claver Morris House can be seen here on the left of East Liberty

The eastern section of the Liberty’s features the elegant Claver Morris House which was built for an eminent local physician in the early 18th century.



Further down, behind high walls, the large 15th century house is the Dean’s lodging. Most of these properties are now occupied by Wells Cathedral school.



The Architectural Plaque for the Liberty can be found at point 1 on the map.
The Architectural Plaque for the Liberty can be found at point 1 on the map.



Commentaires


bottom of page