Waterways of Wells
The wells, which give the city its name, rise in the grounds of the Bishop’s Palace and access to ‘clean’ water (standards have changed!) for the people of Wells was granted in perpetuity by Bishop Bekynton in 1451.
As well as the water which flows on either side of the High Street there are many unseen, and in some cases, uncared-for waterways.
Early in 2016 the Civic Society commissioned a survey of the waterways in order to map their routes and to understand more about their ownership (very complex!) and the state of their health.
When resources allow it is hoped to build on this work and to produce a guide to the Waterways of Wells.